Maths on Toast is the family maths charity. Our vision is to become the go-to organisation for family maths in the UK – transforming children’s and parents’ experiences of doing maths together.
Our mission is to enable every family to feel positive, empowered and inspired about maths – using our creative maths approach to address and overcome barriers such as maths anxiety.
Founded in 2012, our work started with communities in Camden. We currently work across several London boroughs and have a growing reach across the UK.
We engage families in maths and work collaboratively with partners – schools, community organisations, charities – to offer a wide range of hands-on creative maths events, resources, programmes and products. Our charity has big ambitions for systematic growth in the coming years. As our strategic plans develop, you can play a part in realising our desire to take the charity’s work to a whole new level – and to put us on a sustainable footing for the future.
This Trustee role provides an opportunity to make a real difference to improving attitudes to mathematics in the UK.
About the role
Maths on Toast is looking to appoint several Trustees, preferably with one or more of the following skills:
- Income generation – Fundraising and CSR
- Charity or Corporate governance/leadership.
- Education, mathematics or teaching experience
- Commercial sector / Product development / Sales
- HR / Legal
We’re particularly looking for Trustees with strong insight and/or networks to HNWI, corporates and corporate social responsibility, education and government influencers.
We’re also interested in younger applicants (under 30).
Duties & Responsibilities of the role:
- To set and oversee the long-term strategic direction for the organisation
- Networking on behalf of the charity, as part of fundraising and growth strategy priorities
- Representing the charity at occasional events
- To monitor and evaluate risks
- To ensure an effective business plan and budget is in place and that the charity remains financially viable
- To ensure that performance is monitored and managed
- To approve key policies and take decisions about matters reserved to the Board
- To ensure that the Board fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the organisation including compliance
Skills and experience
- Committed to the values and vision of the charity with the ability to recognise its key challenges
- Understanding the duties and responsibilities of being a Board and Committee Member
- Strategic oversight and leadership, to support Maths on Toast in the delivery of its mission
- Independent strategic thinker with the confidence to question and challenge
- Collaborative and good at building relationships with a team
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with influencing abilities
- Ability to ensure that Maths on Toast operates in accordance with the principles of good governance, complying with charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Understanding of informal learning environments, family or youth engagement.
- Understanding of the education sector, parental engagement or STEM development.
- Understanding of charity, social enterprise sector or local authority partnerships.
This is a voluntary role which does not attract a salary, although expenses incurred will be reimbursed. The Board meet up to 8 times a year, generally early evenings in central London plus one strategic away day each Spring/Summer.
To stay sufficiently in touch with the business and be able to inform their judgements, Trustees are expected to liaise with staff outside of the Board meetings to support and advise as needed and join events to see our work in action. Therefore, the time commitment is approximately one day per month.
By applying for this role, you confirm that you are eligible to be a Trustee. For information on Trustee eligibility, see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/charity-trustee-disqualification
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send an up-to-date CV and a short covering letter (1-2 page) setting out what it is that interests you about this position and the organisation and why your experience and contribution would be beneficial to the board.
Application to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday 13th April 5pm
Interviews will be w/c 27th April.
We have our staff/board strategic away day Tuesday 19th May. We would like to invite the successful candidate to this meeting.