What is Festival of Triangles?
Festival of Triangles is a triangle themed maths week led by you and your colleagues. It involves a series of teacher-led, classroom based activities, culminating in an after school or weekend community finale event to which parents, carers, children and teachers are invited.
At the finale event, children’s work is assembled into a giant mathematical structure, while parents and children carry out more creative maths activities.
Why should I run Festival of Triangles at my school?
We’ve found over the years that parents are really keen to get involved with their children’s maths, but they are often anxious about it themselves and not sure where to start. So, we developed Festival of Triangles. It’s a mix between a school fair, a school performance and a whole week full of creative maths lessons.
Here are some reasons we think your primary school would benefit:
- People remember the event as an enjoyable maths experience
- Parents feel more confident to engage with their children’s mathematical ideas
- Parents feel more confident to speak to teachers about maths
- Families enjoy doing maths together
- Parents and children engage in mathematical activities, by showing concentration and perseverance and broadening their view of what maths is
- For teachers, it can broaden your leadership and development skills
- It shows inspectors how you and your school are willing to engage with parents
How do I run a Festival of Triangles event in my school?
Maths on Toast will provide you with a comprehensive Festival of Triangles kit. The kit, and the accompanying resources, will take you through the planning process, explain what to do during the week and on the day itself, and even start you thinking about what you can do to follow up and consolidate learning.
The kit includes
- resources for planning a triangle themed maths week
- templates for letters to parents and posters
- 1 model Sierpinski tetrahedron
- ideas and advice for marketing the event to your whole-school
- tips for involving parents
- timetable to help plan the run up to the event
- template activity sheet
- 8 stand-up table ‘instruction menus’ for each activity zone
- 200 stickers
- 70 take-home cards for parents
- evaluation forms
- and a bag to put it all in!
How much does it cost?
Option oneDo it yourself kit – £270
With extra support staff – £650 plus travel
- Do it yourself kit
- Support phone call to help with planning
- One Maths on Toast support staff on the day
With additional training (Enquire for quotes)
- Do it yourself kit
- Pre-event ½ day school-based training day – full training on how to run the event yourself
- Post-event ½ day meeting for reflection and to plan further work with parents to get the most out of the event
NB: We advise a 6 week lead in to deliver a Festival of Triangles, and we recommend you put aside school budget of about £50-£150 depending on the size of your school for photocopying and key materials (drinking straws, labels, sticky tape etc) Details of which can be found in the pack.
Group packages also available for Maths Hubs or Academy chains. Or if you are a very small school (such as a hospital school) please get in touch as we may be able to provide a tailored option.
Help with Funding your Festival of Triangles
Royal Institution STEM grants for schools
Grants are offered for schools to experience a maths activity selected from the STEM Directory. The next grant scheme is likely to open in September 2019.
A free crowdfunding platform for schools and PTAs in the UK helping raise funds for specific projects from business and the wider community.